From:
Jane Ciaramella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:17:51 -0500
Kathy,
I have often grappled with this myself. We try to make as many follow up phone calls as possible especially to the moms we know were having a difficult time or seemed to be in need of support. Most of the moms we call do call back if a message was left and they are ever so happy to hear from us. However, sometimes we don't get a reply. At that point I feel that if they needed to call or wanted to it was their choice. I ususally do not call back a second time. These are F/U phone calls to someone who was a patient of ours for 3-4 days, left our facility, and now we want to see if they are diong alright with breastfeeding. F/U phone calls are very time consuming to the LC. As much as I would love to call everyone, I would never be able to see everyone, teach class, visit NICU and rent pumps, and answer the calls that come in to the office. It is a daunting day.
Someone who came in for a consult and initiated a visit back with us I will try to call a second time.
Part of the responsibility is theirs as well and we tell them to call us if they need to speak to us. We give out our business card with numbers on it.
Jane Ciaramella RNC, IBCLC