From:
Candi Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 01:21:04 -0500
I don’t think that most women would quit breastfeeding because they don’t
lose the extra pounds put on during pregnancy.  I wouldn’t be surprised if
they quit earlier or don’t admit to the reason for stopping. Breastfeeding
has so many peaks but I don’t believe early weight loss is one of them.
Some people are lucky and lose their weight much faster. But is this really
due to breastfeeding or is it their diet, genetics? From my own experience,
I nursed my first child until I was two months pregnant with my second
child. At this time I weighed 10 pounds more.  Prior to being pregnant I
weighed my ideal body weight. Could pretty much eat whatever I wanted.
Continued to nurse my second child for fourteen months.  I had never been
hungrier in my life, not even during pregnancy.  At this point I accepted
that this is the new me. Many women are heavier after having children. When
I weaned my second son I was surprised to lose 26 pounds in a little over a
month. I was even a few pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight. I
think every woman is individual and therefore will lose weight differently
as women gain weight differently during pregnancy.