From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:33:17 -0500
Now that we're back on latch for the moment, I wanted to share the
perspective of someone who attended a talk I gave on the subject in New
Hampshire last May.  The talk was a "history" of latch, with video clips
from Chele Marmet, Chloe Fisher, Jack Newman, and Diane Wiessinger (whose
video major son had helped her make a homemade video just for me while I
was working on the new Breastfeeding Answer Book--one of the perks of the
job!).

During the break, an LC told me that at her breastfeeding class she
explains latch-on and positioning but she also spends some time explaining
where in the baby's mouth the breast needs to go.  She said that she has
had her class people tell her after they've been breastfeeding for a
while that they appreciated understanding *the goal* and often came up
with their own interesting individual variations on latch that resulted in
the breast ending up right where it should be to be comfortable and
effective.

I thought that was really inspired.  In fact, that's one of the things I
*love* about Rebecca Glover's video, "Follow Me Mum."  It's the only video
I've seen that features an animated segment that shows the breast inside of the baby's
mouth and explains clearly why if the breast ends up *here* breastfeeding is painful, but if
the breast ends up *there* breastfeeding is "100% comfortable."

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC
Chicago suburbs, Illinois, USA
My apologies to all for sending my last post with the entire digest.  I'm still new at posting and promise to be more careful in the future!