From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:30:10 EDT
I recently had the parents of a 4 day old call me in distress because their
full term c/s breech baby had initially gone to the breast well, although the
nipples were pretty wounded, then by day 4 he would suck 2 or 3 times and
scream.   I went to their house, listened to their story, looked at some very raw,
red nipples, very engorged breasts.   Saw a healthy looking baby, tried to put
him to the breast with a shield and a little milk dropped on the outside of
the shield to encourage him, he would suck that off and stop.   I picked him up
to hand him to his dad and he let out a scream big enough for me to see a
perfect tongue tie!!   I explained to the parents the significance of this and
right away the grandma says, "she was born that way too, so they clipped it."
The dad immediately went to his computer and googled tongue tie, came back and
said, "Well, you are not a fraud, you know what you are talking about!   But
how come our baby was seen by 12 nurses, a couple of LC's and 2 of the
premiere Peds in San Diego and in 4 days in the hospital NOT ONE person looked for
this?"   I explained the trick now is to find someone in San Diego to fix it.
Most of the MDs want to wait (????) Their Ped said "it didn't look too bad,
just work with it."   The baby has a perfect heart shaped tongue!! Although Dr.
Sears, who is only 70 minutes from here will do it.   Anyway, to make a long
enough story shorter, they found an ENT who did the procedure right away, very
quickly and he said to the parents as they were leaving the office, "God bless
your LC for DXing this right away, please give her my card and have her call
me."
It's gonna be a good day!!!
Or, as they say In Southern California, I'm stoked!
Annie VerSteeg IBCLC