Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:36:52 -0800
From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
We have to respect women's strength and their ability to survive grief
and overcome its effects.  We wouldn't lie about the effects of
breastfeeding in order to protect someone from the truth.  Leaving out
the truth is also a kind of dishonesty, and women deserve better than
that.  You were right to teach the class just as you had planned,
including all important information.

Years ago, I had another professor sit in on my Human Nutrition class
for a couple of weeks.  During the pregnancy lectures I gave
information about the effects of alcohol, recreational drugs, and poor
nutrition on the fetus.  She didn't say anything.  After the
breastfeeding lectures she came to me and said, "You really ought not
to say breastfeeding has all those benefits.  There are mothers in your
class who probably formula fed, and they'll feel bad."

I said, "You didn't say anything when I talked about the dangers of
alcohol and chemical exposure during pregnancy.  Did you think none of
the mothers in our class could have used drugs or alcohol during their
pregnancies?  What if I decided not to tell them just in case one did,
in order to spare her feelings, and then several of them went on to use
alcohol in their next pregnancy?  In supporting their ignorance,
couldn't I have contributed to the problem that made them and their
babies victims?"

Knowledge is power.  Your student suffered from a lack of knowledge
when she needed it before.  Powerless, she was robbed of the enjoyment
of breastfeeding her baby.  She's still angry.  But now you've given
her knowledge, and with it, she got some of her power back.

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC