From:
amyibclc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:09:55 -0500
Does anyone have the perfect tip for teaching new moms the asymmetrical latch, or if we aren't sure that's the perfect thing, just a deeper latch?  I have Rebecca Glover's Follow Me Mum video and love it but I haven't figured out the best way to summarize this info so that the moms "get it."  I'm in private practice but today I was hired by a family giving birth at a hospital that no longer has LCs.  I had loaned my video to them ahead of time so they had SEEN the images and actually paid attention to it.  But when the time comes, even with direct steps to help baby achieve a deeper latch, it just seems so unnatural to them.  I think the part about the nipple aimed near the nose throws them off.  They start off that way but so often it goes downhill from there.  In this particular instance we let the mom and baby feel their way a bit and it wasn't going too great so I helped latch him on and that latch was great.  After that, as mom practiced by herself, it was sort of messy.  Someone mentioned earlier the tip that mom should drop her elbow to her side...any other "language cues" to help walk the moms through this?

Thanks!
Amy Brown, IBCLC