Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:46:50 EDT
Laurie says,

> What I think would work exceedingly well would be a safety net of nurses
> and/or ibclc's to see the babies thru a clinic type setting at the 48-72 hr
> point.

I agree wholeheartedly Laurie.  Our hospital used to have a program in which
nurses would go out and make a home visit within that time frame.  It was
wonderful!  Of course, as wonderful things go, it was chopped.  Our pediatric
office (where I am the IBCLC) developed a nurse run Baby Clinic.  All our babies
come in to the clinic at 48 to 72 hours after d/c.  If the physicians have
determined any problems in the hospital, they may go back to see the doc at that
time instead of back to the baby clinic.  It is working very well.  All bf
problems that are seen at that time are referred back to me.

What really scares me are the babies that are just a little early -- the 35
tto 38 weekers that are treated as full term babies, and don't get seen by
anyone for 10 days to 2 weeks.  And then if there is a problem -- i.e. -- baby not
gaining -- it is deemed a "breastfeeding failure" problem.

Sigh.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com