From:
Barbara Wilson Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:57:29 -0600
I love Rachel's description "feeding prostheses" to describe shields and
bottles and, for that matter, any type of equipment that is needed in the
early postpartum to ensure adequate intake in the bfg infant and maintenance
of lactation in the mother.

She is absolutely right, and a key point I make in my assessment lectures is
that normal breastfeeding works very robustly.  Any deviation from that
pattern is abnormal.  Generally the period of "abnormal" is brief, and with
careful examination, a reason or reasons for the feeding problem can be
discovered.  Once these are clarified, care givers can give parents
reasonable preditions about how long the dyad will need the help/prosthesis.

The reasons why early breastfeeding may be problematic are getting to be
pretty well defined in the literature.  The Hall study identified vacuum
assisted delivery and PIH.  We know that long or difficult labor,
c-sections, flat nipples, small babies, delayed lactogenesis (reasons
well-described in the lit) etc. are all risk factors.  Hospt. personel
should be trained in the identification of risk factors, and parents can
gently be informed of the issues.  When educated about why the baby can't
suck, and assisted in the 3 rules to protect the outcome (Feed  baby,
Protect milk supply, Keep something happening at breast) the interventions
can do their job without scaring the parents half to death.

 I feel strongly (in response to Jennifer's querry about how to tactfully
alert peds to problems) that hospts can notify the ped of record by fax that
a baby is going home prior to the establishment of effective bfg.  This puts
the responsibility to do early follow-up where it belongs.  Below is the
form we developed here in Austin that does this job.  It is used primarily
at one of our local hospitals, but a pediatrician took it before the
pediatric section (a city-wide meeting) where it was accepted in theory by
all the docs.  I wish it were more widely used, but even getting it going at
one hospt. is a big step.