From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:55:25 -0700
I talked to a coworker yesterday. She said she had a wart on her nipple and
nursed with it when her son was born 14 years ago. His nursing worked it
off & he swallowed it. Must have. He didn't spit it out. She said it hurt a
LOT, but the nipple healed. No harm to the baby. He's healthy & age 14 now.
No new wart for mom.
Phyllis

> Dear Lactnetters,
>        I have just been contacted by a LLL Leader who was earlier this
> evening contacted by a pregnant mom who had a skin tag removed from her
nipple.  The
> skin tag appeared in June, and the dermatologist recently removed it, and
> they got the pathology report today.  The dermatologist removed it
because it was
> variegated and he was concerned about cancer, but there is no cancer.  It
is
> a common wart, verrucae vulgaris.  The dermatologist told the mother not
> breastfeed from that breast, but that she could pump the milk and give
the milk
> to the baby.  We are wondering if this information is correct.  The kicker
> here is, the mom is right now, as I'm typing this, in labor and has just
left for
> the hospital.  The Leader and I told her to follow her doctor's advice
until
> such time as any other information might be available, and reminded her
that
> she could directly breastfeed on the unaffected breast.  Have any of you
dealt
> with this situation, who could explain the rationale for giving pumped
milk
> but avoiding direct breastfeeding?  Or is this truly necessary?
>        Thanks.
>        Dee
>
> Dee Kassing, BS, MLS, IBCLC
> Collinsville, Illinois, in central USA

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates