Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Krainz, Mary Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:01:13 -0500
I am glad you bring up the color of stools Marsha.

Marsha writes "Several people have commented on the thick green stools
produced by infants given Enfamil Lipil."

Just this week a mother called and asked why her breastfeed baby had a green
stool once a day. First question was the baby fussy (No) and what was she
was taking for medication (Percodan and PNVs). Asked if she was giving any
formula and at first she said no but after I informed her that sometimes
formula can make the stools green she admitted to giving "Just one bottle at
night of Lipil...so the baby sleeps longer." When told that it was probably
the formula making the stools green she was OK with the color but IF it was
from something in her breastmilk she wanted it FIXED. BTW-her supply is
great and she was strongly encouraged to NOT give formula.
Again sacrificing breastfeeding on the altar of ignorance. We need to inform
the parents and the MDs about this possible green stool color too, otherwise
they may think as this mother did-it is something in the breastmilk.
Mary Ann Krainz RN, IBCLC in central WI, USA