Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Valerie W. McClain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:41:38 EDT
I have been mulling over the various comments made on this list in regard to
breastfeeding in the 70's and 80's.  I salute those of you who during that
time period breastfeed exclusively and lived in communities where breastfeeding
was prevalent.

At the following website, I found breastfeeding rates from 1970-2001 in the
USA per Ross Labs
http://www.kellymom.com/writings/bf-numbers.html
quite a wealth of information at this site on breastfeeding numbers.......

The initiation and duration of breastfeeding was increasing in the USA during
these years.  But let's look at those percentages.  Starting with 1971,
initiation is 24.7% and ending with 1982 initiation being 61.9%.  Each year until
1982 the percentages increased from 2-6%, in a stair-step manner.  After 1982,
we enter a decline of initiation rates.  Duration rates at 6 months range form
1971--5.4% to 1982--27.1%.
We also need to recognize that each region in the USA will have different
initiation and duration rates.  We also will see differences in these rates
dependent on  race and income level.

So while some of you on this list in the USA, see a certain picture of
breastfeeding in the 70's and 80's.  I, who lived in the South, did not see the same
picture.  What we do need to ask ourselves is personal experience relevant to
the whole picture?  When we are looking at studies, should we dismiss a study
because of personal experience?  Should we approve of studies because they
agree with our personal experience?  I believe the answer is maybe and maybe
not.  Personal experience is very important but it can color our understanding of
an issue.

While I believe because of living in the South that virtually little
breastfeeding went on during that particularly decade.  You, who live in other areas
experienced a much better picture of breastfeeding initiation and duration.
But, still overall in the USA, I must say that even at its peak in 1982, 61.9%
initiation rate is a poor showing and the duration rates are abysmal.  This
does not even address exclusivity and most importantly its definition.  What is
considered exclusive by one person, may not be considered exclusive by another
(even in studies--the reason any infant feeding study must define
exclusivity).  Magda Sachs, who is on our list, has written some very good articles in
regard to exclusivity.

These issues are important in regard to evaluating studies done in regard to
breastfeeding.  We cannot dismiss our personal experience or our community
experience, but we have to look at the overall picture.  For example, I have been
known to say in regard to political elections, how come the candidate I voted
for didn't win?  I voted for him and all my friends voted for him, he/she
should have won.  Was the election rigged? Probably not (here in Florida one
never knows though--still counting chads). In order to evaluate studies, we have
to keep our personal experience in perspective.  I find it to be one of the
most challenging aspects of reading studies.
Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC