Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:26:51 -0400
 HI Jennifer
I think that separating the mother & baby at night would be largely
responsible for the large weight losses you are seeing.The baby needs
unrestricted access to the breast to make sure supply equals demand.At
around 48-72 hours I have observed what I call a feeding frenzy to bring
the milk in.Some babies will do it from birth or anytime after if they are
big or "wasted",etc.This is often confused with the baby being unsettled or
windy in our part of the world & good meaning midwives will take the baby
out so mother can rest or give some formula at mothers request because the
baby is "starving".This of course mucks the whole thing up.Once we explain
it to the mothers ,a lightbulb comes on & they are much more receptive to
the constant feeding required.
If a baby is separarated from its mother & it's need for food/comfort is'nt
met by it's mother, it can go into a sort of self-preservation mode,also
called"mammalian protest-despair behaviour".I think the babies dont feed as
well after this & seem to lose their way.The mother-infant unit have been
disrupted & may need some skin to skin to get it together again.Most babies
seem to catch up ok,but some dont for different reasons.This separation can
also apparently affect their brain growth,I am just discovering.There is so
much more to it than meets the eye.We obviously have inbuilt methods of
survival,but just surviving is'nt optimal living .
Hope this all makes sense.
Anne Fox IBCLC
Australia