From:
Mary Ostyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:16:32 EDT
Several of my children (one of whom is high-needs and the other of whom
isn't) did this around a year of age, becoming increasingly restless in our bed and
increasingly needy until no one, even them, were getting much sleep.  Our
solution, used on two children, was to begin them in our bed, and nurse the first
time the child awakened.   Then dad (my hero) put them into the crib after
nursing and hung out with them during the inevitable howling.  He insisted that
they stay lying down, but patted their backs while they cried and let them
know they were not abandoned.   Eventually they would settle down to sleep.  He
would go to them at each awakening, reminding them it was sleep time, and
patting their backs as they cried.  This went on for only 2 nights with one of the
boys and a very long week with the other boy.  Then-- it was done.  They had
learned that the crib meant sleep ( and that dad meant business!).  And they
learned to sleep.  This (for my children anyway) conincided with a stage of
beginning to leed some limit-setting (ages 12-15- months) and they responded very
well to dad laying down the law in a caring sort of way.  Of course during
those times of howling those first few nights, I basically had to cover my head
with a pillow, but it was worth it on the short term to get better sleep.  Just
one idea....

Oh, and btw, this was not a weaning issue for us.  I went on to nurse one
baby til age 2 and the other til age 3--we just needed more sleep.

Hope that helps.

Mary Ostyn, RN and mom to 6