Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:06:32 -0500
I was researching this same question a while back; I hope this information
will be helpful.  Here is a relevant FAQ page from the Diver's Alert
Network, a diving safety nonprofit organization:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=105

In case you can't see the link:
Diving Medicine FAQs
Breast-Feeding

Q: I've heard that I can't breast feed my baby when I dive. Is that true?

A: A mother may choose to breast-feed her infant while maintaining an
otherwise active life. This may continue for weeks or months, depending on
the mother's preference.
Fitness and Diving Issues

Is it safe to scuba dive while breast-feeding?

From the standpoint of the child, the mother's breast milk is not unduly
affected. The nitrogen absorbed into the body tissues is a component of
breathing compressed air or other gas mixes containing nitrogen. This form
of nitrogen is an inert gas and plays no role in body metabolism. Although
nitrogen accumulates in all of the tissues and fluids of the body, washout
after a dive occurs quickly. Insignificant amounts of this nitrogen would be
present in the mother's breast milk; there is, however, no risk of the
infant accumulating this nitrogen.

From the mother's standpoint, there is no reason for a woman who is
breast-feeding her child to avoid diving, provided there is no infection or
inflammation of the breast.

Here is the URL for a complete article on Diving Issues for Women:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=9

It appears from the FAQ, the longer article, and also collected from Lactnet
archives that
there are several issues for a diving nursing mother to consider:

1) Her fitness level -- it would be prudent to have a
thorough physical examination to determine her physical readiness for this
activity.
2) Would she be prepared for the risks inherent in the
activity, such as decompression sickness (caused by nitrogen bubbles in the
body), its prevention and treatment?
3) She should consider that her wetsuit and heavy equipment may
contribute to plugged ducts.
4) From anecdotes related in archives, a mother should try to nurse as close
to beginning the
dive as possible, for her comfort and to minimize milk stasis or the
development of plugged ducts.

Hope this helps,

Bev Vaugh, LLLL, IBCLC
Austin, Texas