Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:44:34 -0300
> One day I came in to the local hospital as an LLLL to see a mother there (I
> forget just why).  I had my little girl with me.  Weeks later the LC, who
> was starting to train me to take her place eventually, sat me down and
> explained that maybe I could get away with that as a volunteer, but it was
> definitely not professional behavior and I should be quite clear that I
> would not be able to do this as an LC.

This has happened to me, as well. In a role similar to that of a peer
counselor (paid, but not much :-) we made home visits. It was impressed
upon us that we were, in part, serving as role models in parenting
education. However, we were not to take our children with us (and what
better modeling is there than the genuine interactions!).

Obviously, on one level this doesn't seem to make sense. At the same
time, however, there were several occasions during which I found that my
paid duties encroached on my family life, and I saw the good sense in
keeping my children safe from the kind of situation in which we could
find ourselves, free from the interruption of home phone calls,
respectful of confidentiality on both sides and with well-defined
boundaries around family time. I also realized that part of my
resentment of the policy had to do with whether I was actually ready to
focus on something other than the particular needs of my children at
that age, and chose instead to work for a while in a profession that
paid more money for fewer "away from home" hours, before finally moving
to 80% home-based hours. Now that my children are a bit older, I feel
differently and trust my intuitive sense that I can leave home for hours
or days at a time.

I suppose the definition of "professionalism" as a principle in these
matters could be replaced by a clearer definition of "role and mandate."
After all, I feel the boundaries between work as an LLLL and as an LC
are quite clearly defined, and are necessary.

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, IBCLC, Canada