Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:22:04 +0200
I've been alerted to an article that appears in the latest issue of Journal
of Nutrition (J Nutr), by a group of researchers from Iowa State University
and the Peruvian Instituto de Investigacion Nutricional.  'Wyeth Nutrition,
Philadelphia, PA 19101' is also listed as an affiliation, but it is not
possible from the PubMed entry to see whether any of the researchers are
employed by Wyeth or whether they simply funded the research.
'An Overlap of Breastfeeding during Late Pregnancy Is Associated with
Subsequent Changes in Colostrum Composition and Morbidity Rates among
Peruvian Infants and Their Mothers', by Marquis GS, Penny ME, Zimmer JP,
Diaz JM, Marin RM.
The findings were not very favorably worded for BF in late pregnancy.  I
don't have access to the full text and I am leaving my computer, all
libraries, and my everyday life tomorrow for the next two weeks, to go on
vacation on a boat, but the abstract raises more questions than it answers.
Just for 'fun' I visited the Wyeth Nutrition website.  Yeeow.  A page on
'How to Breastfeed', in which the first subheading, IMMEDIATELY under that
chapter heading, is 'Scheduling Feeding'.  Colostrum is described as 'a
yellowish liquid' and honestly, if you didn't know anything, it certainly
wouldn't make you eager to feed THAT to your baby.
If anyone cites this study to you, please draw their attention to the
involvement in it of a formula manufacturer who is heavily invested in
selling its products to anyone who consumes food (as I learned from visiting
their incredibly revealing website).
Ready for some time off, for sure!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway