Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jessica Sargent CNA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:15:58 EDT
Are we an aging *profession* or are we a profession growing younger?

Terriann,

I am not sure if it's an aging profession or a profession growing younger.
But here might be good news for you.  I am 21 and I am studying for my BSN.  It
will take me two more years for that (God willing) and then I will start
earning practice hours for my IBCLC, that will probably take me another year to
get certified.  So by the time I am ready to work with my LC I will be 24-25.
So I will still be fairly young.

In our area there are very, very few LC's.  There is one that works part time
for WIC in my city and there is one that works for a hospital about 30 miles
away.  Those are the only LC's in my area that I am aware of.  Because of WIC,
there are very few people in our area that are willing to breastfeed.  They
see it as, "I'm getting it free anyway."  That is basically the idea,
especially among the other younger mothers in our area.  They don't see all the
benefits that there are to breastfeeding.  But, I guess in a way I am a wise 21 year
old.

One of the areas I want to work in once I get my IBCLC is to help other young
mothers realize the benefits of breastfeeding.  I tried to volunteer to
councel the pregnant teenage girls at my old high school, but the nurses there
looked at me like I was crazy and said that, "I was welcome to come back and
volunteer after I got my BSN."

Jessica Sargent
studying for my BSN and IBCLC