Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:39:56 EDT
Diane says,

> I just changed my "First Week Breastfeeding Log" from "Day 1", "Day 2", etc
> to "Day 1 (before baby is 1 day old)", "Day 2 (baby is 1 day old)", and so
> on, up through "Day 7 (baby is 6 days old)."
>
> Do parents (or even health care providers) really get it that a baby is only
> 4 days old on Day 5?  That the transition diapers we expect to see on Day 3
> or 4 should be happening when a baby is 2 or 3 days old?

Diane, I think this works if the baby is born at 3:00 in the morning, for
example, but what if the baby is born at 10:00 at night?  I wonder if it wouldn't
be more advisable to go with 1st 24 hours/2nd 24 hours/3rd 24 hours and so
on?  You'd only need to use this for the first few "critical" days.  I still use
day 1 as being the day after the baby is born, but have thought about the
same things Diane has said.  At our hospital, if a mom delivers at 11:00 pm, on
Tuesday, that is her delivery day, and she has to go home on day two -- on
Thursday.  But if she had delivered 1 hour and 1 minute later -- 12:01 am on
Wednesday, that would be her delivery day, and she wouldn't have to go home until
Friday -- giving her, in essence, nearly 72 hours for her two day stay vs. 48
hours for the first mom.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Lactation Education Consultants, Wheaton IL
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com