Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Christy Whiteside <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:20:24 -0700
Darillyn Starr said,

"I haven't asked anyone who has difficulty with latch if they have breast =
implants, but it sure seems to me that implants could make the areolar =
tissue tighter, and make it harder for a baby to latch on."

I have had experience with many mothers with implants. My first question is
where did they insert the implants? If the nipple is involved, ie: was whole
nipple removed, or just detached around the edge? this usually will give you
a clue as to the damaged caused to the ducts, fibromuscular tissue, blood
supply and nerves involved. There are various procedures to breast implants.
The least invasive for breastfeeding seems to be the implant inserted under
the armpit and beneath the breast this lifts the rest of the breast and does
basically minimal damage to the periferal breast tissue the nerves,
fibromuscular tissue, blood supply and ducts. They seem to be all intact so
the mother usually breastfeeds successfully. No real issue with flat nipples
or milk supply. I have seen mothers with entire areolas removed and replaced
on a breast, and breastfeed, at least partially, the miracle to me is that
any milk comes out at all. The human body is so amazing. I think that while
the body is building this baby, the body is also repairing and reproducing
mammary tissue and ducts. I know that sounds crazy, but I've seen it too
many times to deny it. In most cases of total removal of the areola I have
witnessed hand expression and seen drops, sometimes squirts of milk. I just
shake my head every time in disbelief. I casually asked a plastic surgeon
about this, he said ,"no way, that's impossible.".... I've seen it.  So as
far as I know from what I've seen it only makes the areola "flat" if major
damage is done to the fibromuscular tissue (tendons). This also applies to
breast reduction surgery. Most of the time with breast reduction surgery
part of the breast is removed, so it would be logical to say that the woman
would not have a full supply, sometimes this is true and sometimes they do
have a full supply, believe it...or not.

It's just my observation..