Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:22:14 +0200
Since Dr. Joan Meek's topic is NOT primarily DHA in infant formula, but the
sponsor of the dinner/lecture combo is billing it that way, maybe she is
unaware of how she is being billed.  Out of respect for her, we should let
her know that the title of the talk as it is being billed by the sponsor, is
making it unclear what her own agenda is.  This just points up the hazards
of trying to collaborate, however honestly and regardless of the nobility of
your purpose, with an industry whose prime interest is in selling their
product, and not in your integrity as an expert (nor in the health of
children and their mothers).

The formula industry is WAY savvy.  They have whole staffs, even whole
agencies that do nothing but image-polishing for them.  Dr. Meek is a
researcher with a genuine concern for children and for nutrition.  Being a
good, honest and sincere person, perhaps she expects that others are the
same.  It must be immensely frustrating for her to have been co-opted this
way again.  In light of her own very recent experience with the AAP sellout
of her book, I bet she is every bit as good and kind as she seems, because a
hard-boiled cynic like me would have been wary of giving that industry a
second chance to besmirch my name.

If you felt like doing her a favor you could attend (following the steps
outlined by Liz Brooks) and sweetly, publicly ask why there was a
discrepancy in the poster text and the actual topic of Dr. Meek's talk.

While it may seem abrasive, I don't think 'formula company pawn' is strictly
inaccurate here.  A pawn is to a large extent innocent, and never in
control.  It is very sad, but true.  I agree with Liz Brooks in her most
recent post - the irony of this latest development is so close to the
surface as to be glaringly obvious.

Rachel Myr
cantankerous purist in Kristiansand, Norway