Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:12:42 EDT
In an effort to learn how formula companies engage in effective marketing
strategies, I have read a number of books that explain much of what we are
discussing regarding the blitz of industry sponsored dinners, lectures, and
conferences. A good read is, "Toxic Sludge is Good for You!: Lies, Damn Lies and the
Public Relations Industry." This book explains and names what we are seeing.
"Industry learned years ago that one of the best ways to influence an audience
is to put its message into the mouth of a publicly trusted expert such as a
scientist, doctor, or university professor." Endorsement by an "opponent" carries
more weight than anything the companies can say. They work hard to cultivate
people within the breastfeeding community, to co-opt them into working against
the goals of breastfeeding advocacy. This is called "divide and conquer."
Companies are working hard to manage our opinion of them, trying to make
themselves look good, using respected names to burnish their image, and getting ready
for the October launch of the national breastfeeding awareness campaign.

NABA has received a number of invitations, announcements, and materials from
some of these lectures.
"DHA and ARA Supplementation in Infant Formula: Implications for Infant
Development" Medical Education Lecture sponsored by Enfamil Lipil with Iron.
Speaker: Dr. Joan Meek, Clayton, MO

Enfamil Lipil Nurses Conference - Florida
Dr. Joan Meek one of the speakers: "Formula Selection: How to Give
Appropriate Advice" 42 slides, one on breast milk

Video presentation with Dr. Alan Greene: "DHA & ARA"

Ross Pediatrics: Dinner lecture with William Forti MD, FAAP
"Infant formulas"are they different and do they matter?" Cocktails, dinner,
and lecture

The Lipilville Enfamil Nurses' Conference: Breastfeeding support, DHA/ARA
importance, feeling good are the topics.

These talks are not for "educational" purposes. These talks are carefully
designed to persuade the medical community that the DHA/ARA additive from
fermented microalgae and soil fungus are good for babies. All of the speakers have
been converted into the marketing mouthpieces for formula - pure and simple.
This is how marketing works! Stating that IBCLCs have attended these conferences
as well physicians from the AAP and ABM is used to validate that the lectures
are somehow OK. Do you see the image transfer? Both the speaker and the
formula company can now state that the lectures are appropriate because IBCLCs go to
them! I do not see anywhere in any of these lectures ANY statements on the
hazards, side effects, or risks of using the added DHA/ARA formulas, just a
sugar coating of how important these nutrients are and isn't it wonderful that the
beneficent formula companies have added these to formulas so that
non-breastfed babies can obtain the same advantages. Any risks are either distorted or
omitted. Who is being deceived here?

It is irrelevant whether or not the formula company provides any input into
the content of the lecture. They are paying for the image transfer, disarming
of the critics, and wasting our time. These lectures would cease if people
stopped going to them as they would no longer be cost effective to the companies.

Let's not allow formula companies to use us, our credential, our professional
associations or our experts to peddle formula. We have so much work to do to
help mothers and babies breastfeed. Let's get ready for World Breastfeeding
Week and here in the US, the launch of the big breastfeeding promotion campaign
in October.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA