From:
Star Siegfried <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 06:47:06 -0700
Hi All,

I am happy to hear from so many of you. I totally agree with Winnie about
this and don't blame the hearing test itself. I think the bottom line issue
for me is, do we have the right to give a baby a pacifier without parent
consent? I have been given many excellent suggestions from all of you and
thank you. Now, what about the consent issue. Again, I will work hard to
influence change however I am angered over the fact that we (nurses, I'm
one too) don't respect babies as we do adults. We would never give an adult
a pacifier to do a test like this without asking or telling them this may
happen and explain the risks. How many hospitals that still have pacifiers
in the dept. have some sort of consent?  I have the same problems with the
nurses doing gastric lavage on spitty babies,oy. I'm still trying to work
out my strategy with all of you before I talk to the nurses.
Thanks,
Star Siegfried RN, BA, IBCLC