Date:
Sat, 3 May 2003 14:19:03 EDT
Last week, Winnie told us of a segment on TV regarding the new fatty acids in
infant formula. Actually this aired in Minneapolis and Atlanta before the
original investigative story was scheduled to be shown. A mother in the
Minneapolis area was interviewed for the story and the segment was "scooped."
I suggested the story to Fox and have been working closely with Fox
Undercover here in Boston on a segment on formula which will be aired in the
Boston area on Monday night, May 5 on the 10:00pm EST Fox news.

I am very concerned with not only the current side effects from this formula
but also what the future adverse outcomes might be, the manner in which it
was put on the market, and how it is being promoted to parents. I wonder how
many parents realize that the DHA/ARA fatty acids in the US formula are
extracted with the solvent Hexane. The same solvent used to extract soy oil
from soy beans. Has anyone ever looked at the amount of Hexane residue in
infant formula? Talk about an uncontrolled experiment!

If any of you have questions regarding issues surrounding the addition of DHA
and ARA into US formulas, the FDA has reopened a comment period on this which
was announced to all of us on Lactnet. It is important that as many people as
possible voice their concerns.

If your local Fox affiliate station does not air this piece Monday night and
you are interested in a copy of the segment, please let me know.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA