From:
Kris Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:34:32 -0500
Hi all,
    I had posted a short while ago asking for "Gee Whiz" facts for a poster
presentation for the nurses at our hospital.  A few of you asked that I post
the responses as well.  I have finished putting together the poster, and
although most of the "Gee Whiz" facts are simply benefits of breastfeeding
(or risks of not breastfeeding) for both child and mother, I'll share some
of your favorites that were sent to me.
     1.Human milk has over 300 ingredients, including interferon, white
blood cells, antibacterial and antiviral agents, while formula has only 40
ingredients.
    2.Human milk has been shown to kill cancer cells in a laboratory dish
and has been used in oncology.
    3. The human breast "custom-makes" antibodies to fight whatever pathogen
the infant is exposed to in the environment.
    4. Breast milk has been used to treat eye infections, ear infections,
pimples, cold sores, and nail fungus and prevent infection         in
scrapes and scratches.
    5. In some parts of the world, donated organs are bathed in breast milk
for the protective factors.
    6. There were 22 "significant" recalls of formula for potentially
life-threatening situations.
    7. Human milk lactoferrin is patented for use in killing E. Coli in the
meat packing industry.
    8. Donor milk is being used to treat malabsorption and short-gut
syndromes, renal failure, inborn errors of metabolism, ulcerative colitis,
irritable bowel syndrome, immunodeficiency diseases, burn cases, cardiac
problems, and infectious diseases such as intractable diarrhea,
gastroenteritis, infantile botulism, sepsis, pneumonia, and hemorrhagic
conjuctivitis in both children and adults.
    9. Adoptive moms, grandmothers, and yes, even men (!) have been able to
lactate for an infant.

Thank you so much for all your help in compiling these wonderful facts!
    Kristeen Rogers, RN, BSN, IBCLC
(VERY lucky and proud mother-in-law of Charity and very excited
Grandma-to-be!!!)