From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:19:09 -0500
I haven't posted in ages, but I do like to keep up with the Lactnet postings
when I can.

I want to publicly thank Linda Duce for coming to "the Other hospital
system" to speak to our lactation department about the changes her hospital
has made toward Baby Friendly.  Of particular interest was the manner in
which Linda's hospital changed out the formula marketing bags for
non-commercial diaper bags.

I want you to know that our director went straight from that meeting to the
head of purchasing and asked him to arrange a similar deal with our vendor.

Our hospital with 4,800 births a year decided to take the first step toward
non-dependence on formula advertisement by only giving marketing bags to
mothers who ask for them.  This was a month ago, and after the initial
uproar, the staff has not found this to be difficult.  Mothers who ask,
receive.   I attended a pedi/nurse liaison meeting yesterday in which a pedi
was prepared to "advocate" for his mothers because the marketing rep had
told him some disturbing news about our new policy.  Once he read the policy
himself, that mothers would be given marketing bags on request, he was fine.
Apparently, the marketing rep had given him a different impression of what
we were up to (big surprise).  The marketing reps are falling out of favor
by their misrepresentation and manipulation of staff and management.

So, Linda, I wanted to thank you for the time you spent at our hospital,
showing us how you managed to break through a major barrier.  Slowly but
surely, we are challenging our assumptions of dependence by giving some
realistic alternatives.

Jeanne Mitchell, IBCLC
Austin, TX