From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:03:57 -0800
I have been mulling this over and over in my mind since Jan Barger
posted it on Feb 28.  Why could the lactation industry not just call
breastmilk

Mothers Magic Milk…?

Then just provide the references for all its incredible properties.
Artificial milk/laboratory formula is static, cooked, dried cow or soya
powder with added chemicals.

Mothers Magic Milk is a catchy phrase.

Judy Ritchie

Whoever decided that human milk only has 20 cal/ounce wasn't playing
with allthe numbers correctly.  And yet we've hung with that forever
because that's what's in the literature.

My lecture on Composition of human milk says that colostrum has 18.76
kcal/ounce.  I'm not sure I believe that either -- but that's the only
thingI can find in the literature.

So what I say is that we don't know because Mother's Milk is Magic....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC