From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:04:43 -0400
>Interesting how the media  has been dragging up these breastfeeding studies that
>are looking at the 70's and early 80's.  Pat said it well, when she
>commented, "were kids actually breastfeed in the US between 1972 & 1981."  Remember the
>asthma study by Dr. Malcolm Sears et al?

I want to register two comments here:

One is that yes, we have to look at the research, how it was done, who it included, etc.  I was very lucky to have a stringent course in this.  So I use it when looking at articles that do not support breastfeeding.  However, I also use it for article that DO support breastfeeding, not just accepting them because they support my preference.

For the second comment I have to step out of my role as a professional and be a mother.  There were people breastfeeding in the '70's and I deeply resent the position that's been adopted that there weren't, or that breastfeeding resurgence is somehow a late '90's phenomenon.  In the 70's there were lots of us campaigning for change in birthing practices and for support of breastfeeding.  We got those birth practices changed - like routine meds, enemas, shaves, etc. because we worked at it.  We worked hard to begin the movement back to breastfeeding as the norm.  Every one of my co-workers, most of whom are in their fifties, have kids 18 to 30 years old, and all breastfed.  I'll concede that we weren't as tuned in to exclusive breastfeeding, but that's it.

Oh, and each of my kids went to an major international convention in their first months and did fine.  Jenn went to the LLLI convention in 1977, and Rich to the ICEA event in 1979.

Judith

Judith A. Hayman, BSc, BScN, RN, IBCLC
Caledonia ON