From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 16:59:11 +1000
Darillyn,

I wanted to say in response to an earlier post that I too have seen women
gain confidence from the fact that if women are able to breastfeed babies
without having recently been pregnant that they can persist through their
difficulties and or continue breastfeeding with confidence. I've also seen
people change their attitudes towards relactation, viewing breastfeeding as
more open ended as Virginia described. I become more and more convinced that
it is the breastfeeding culture (microculture within a macro culture that
may be adversarial) which can be found within mother to mother support
groups or within individual families etc) which allows for greater
flexibility in lactation.

For the mum going to the Middle East, it really upsets me that the powers
that be do not view the emotional health of their youngest citizens as more
important. I think that the mum is planning for resuming breastfeeding when
she returns shows her commitment to her baby and to breastfeeding. I can't
imagine that it would be a supportive environment for doing this. After
reading your post, I wondered just who will be caring for the baby? Partner?
Sister? Mum? If it is either of the latter I know that were I in that
situation I would be wanting my sister or mother to continue breastfeeding
the child for me while I was gone whether they were lactatating at that time
or not. Very possible with a supplemental system at the breast. I wonder
what this mum would think of it? It's a fairly critical time as far as
breastfeeding goes for the babe and I guess you would have see a few mums,
as I have who have been adopting (from Guatelmala for instance) and have
visited their child to be and breastfed them at 3-4 months without
difficulty but on finalisation of the adoption and the child is 6-8 months
the child has been unwilling to return to breastfeeding. I often wonder how
much of this reluctance is an age thing and how much might be related to the
child being abandoned yet again (and that it would have been much better if
the mother had not visited at all). Certainly, for this mum she needs to be
thinking about how she will transition her baby to the care of another and
then back to her to minimise the trauma to the baby. MOTHER AND CHILD
SEPARATION IS NO SMALL THING!

Oops, a post offending Western cultural sensitivities re breastfeeding and
personal autonomy Would I do that??

Karleen Gribble
Australia