From:
Duce Linda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:05:18 -0500
Last year our hospital began to develop its very first lactation program,
and it has been a very steep learning curve for all concerned, but it IS
coming along.

One of  the most important things that has made the project successful thus
far, is the vision of our new Women's Services Director, who brought with
her an extensive knowledge regarding the literature surrounding
breastfeeding, experience in a baby-friendly facility, and excellent
management skills.  She is unafraid to make change where change is
necessary, is unintimidated by dark clouds (administrative, medical and
otherwise), is savvy regarding the value of advertising, and is moving our
department into the 21rst century with gusto, and within budget.

We used a multi-pronged approach to bring the program into existence--we
called upon our state's department of health which has excellent
breastfeeding education, and educated the entire women's services staff
regarding breastfeeding (it was mandatory education), we eliminated the
formula company diaper bags (amidst great ruckus) and replaced them with our
own bag and a complimentary copy of a breastfeeding book. We offered
meetings with our OB-GYNs, our Pedis and our Neos, explaining our plans, how
the program would function, and how their patients would access care.

We have fought the battle with a pediatrician who complained to our CEO that
his own personal child would have died had they not received the formula bag
at discharge (editorial comment unspoken), the battle with the formula
representatives who lobbied our nurses when we were unaware they were even
in the building, who challenged us with the prospect of paying for formula,
surprised that we had already considered the prospect and were making
preparation for that eventuality, and others.  Elimination of pacifiers for
healthy newborns and ABM supplementation policies are in the works.

We are currently working on our second survey to see if we have made an
impact in one short year. If the numbers in our mothers' groups is any
indication, I think the answer just might be in the affirmative.

Finally, we recognize that perhaps the hardest "sell" are the benefits that
are esoteric, the ones that will impact the future. We remain strong in the
belief that it is a legacy worth giving.

Thank you to all of you who have served as rich and generous resources in
making this possible.

Respectfully yours,

~Linda

        Linda M. Duce RN, CNM