From:
Roxanne Gollata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 10:15:48 -0500
Date:    Sat, 24 May 2003 12:23:11 -0500
From:    Barbara Wilson-Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: "yeast"

I doubt that it is yeast.  If the mom needed clindamycin, she must have had
a rip-roaring bacterial infection.  Sometimes these can be quite persistent.
She may also have had scar tissue formation as the result of the mastitis
that is impacting (in an on-going way) the drainage patterns of the affected
breast.  If the breast repeatedly plugs, the resultant inflammatory mastitis
in a breast still recovering or harboring a lingering low-grade bacterial
infection, would flare everytime milk stasis occurs.

I appreciate the fact that the issue of elimination of sweets has been
around for a long time in terms of the ideology of yeast infection.  I am
still awaiting a definitive research link to support this particular belief.
Another possible explanation for the sugar craving may be the fact that many
postpartum mothers have protein deficits. From the Children's Nutrition
Research Center (a US Dept. of Agriculture facility) newsletter, Nutrition
and Your Child, 1992:  "...CNRC sesearch shows that even the recommended
protein intake for nursing mothers is too low..."  I suspect that harried
postpartum moms who aren't cooking or eating normally crave sugar because
they are craving quick energy fixes.  I wonder if the effect of dietary
sugar restriction is that it forces them to eat other (probably healthier)
things, and this improves their general enegy level and sense of well-being.
I'm all for less consumption of empty calories --esp when sugar/carb
calories contribute to blood sugar drops which probably also contribute to
mood swings.  However, I feel a certain reluctance to categorize all this as
being about "symtoms of systemic yeast".  Doesn't one have to be pretty
immunocompromised for systemic yeast to occur?

Barbara Wilson-Clay, BS, IBCLC
Austin Lactation Associates
LactNews Press
www.lactnews.com