From:
Mari Douma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:28:12 -0500
I have been thinking lately that we are expecting a lot of newborns when we
expect them to have a perfect latch and suck. I know they are born with
reflexes to facilitate the process, but so many factors can complicate the
matter: not only the events of L & D but also what the baby did in utero
(tongue suck with a closed mouth vs suck with a wide open mouth on the wrist).

I am thinking that a lot of these babies DO have a less than perfect suck
but that most of them figure it out over the first week. Having nursed three
babies over the last nearly seven years, there is a distinct difference in
the latch/suck of an experienced toddler/preschooler and a newborn. The
newborn does suck with more intensity (can't really come up with the right
word here). I think that over the course of weeks to months to years, the
baby learns what kind of latch/suck the mother prefers (through subtle or
not -so-subtle interactions). I had some mild nipple damage with the two
babies who were the *best* nursers. Things cleared up quickly over the first
week. The baby who had significant latch/suck problems didn't cause any
nipple damage at all. Looking at his latch made (knowledgeable) people say:
that doesn't hurt?!? It didn't. Go figure.

No startling revelations here... just some ponderings. We still have much to
learn and I am amazed daily at what an incredible resource Lactnet. We are
so lucky!

Mari Douma, DO