Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa JOnes RN CLE IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:56:45 -0500
According to Dorland's Medical Dictionary a prescription is " a written
direction for the preparation and adminstration of a remedy. A prescription
consists of the heading or superscription-that is, the symbol RX or the
word Recipe,meaning "take"; the inscription, which contains the names and
quantities of the ingredients; the subscription, or directions for the
compounding;and the signature,usually introduced by the sign S. for
sig'na, "mark", which gives the directions for the patient which are to be
marked on the receptacle.
 Looking up education or information within the normal dictionaries, I find
what LC's do when offering alternative information to clients to be more
the norm  verses the term prescription since our information is not
transcribed onto any labels, etc. on the receptacles.
 When I suggest alternative measures  such as herbals for things like
improving milk supply or plugged ducts, I always offer this as a possible
measure to resolve whatever problem that clients are experiencing and
remind them to discuss this with their physician. Part of  the IBCLC
Standards of Practice is to work with medical professions in the care of
the breastfeeding couplet and share with them current evidence based
information and clinical skills.
 Winnie- if I remember correctly, you are a hospital based LC so my
suggestion is to try and meet with the heads of the OB/Peds and Risk
management and obtain their approval to continue being able to practice as
an LC using these guidelines. Sometimes the Dr.s wish to see the info you
can gather on things like fenugreek, etc.  I did this in our facility and
recieved approval for suggesting a few non prescription based
interventions. As a courtesy and member of the health care team, I do
contact the physician later to let them know what I have done for this
client ( or if its a Dr. I've not worked closely with, I try and discuss
this with them first- usually as they have made the referral)
 Sounds like someone, somewhere on your "chain" has got their panties in a
twist- I'd see who has decided this is prescribing and start there...sounds
like they either need re-education or an update . Good Luck!!!