From:
Lavinia Belli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:30:44 +0100
Marijke Boele asks:
"How harmfull is the milk if the mother took Dostinex?
If a mother, who took Dostinex, wants to start bf again, how many day's does
she have to pump and dump her milk before  she can put the baby on the
breast
again?"

I got to ask that very same question to Dr.Thomas Hale, last friday in Paris
and his answer was similar to Rachel's.  The point is that I've had mothers
calling me after taking only one pill (in Spain, for example, they give you
the two pills over two consecutive days) and having seconds thoughts.  Hale
doubted that they would have any milk, but they do.  He also said that he
would not think that the cabergoline would be harmful for the baby, but of
course, there is no way to know that since no studies have been conducted.
He also mentioned that the drug is sometimes used, in very low doses, in
women with very high prolactin levels and that in them cabergoline
diminishes but not suppreses lactation.  What about the effect on their
babies?.....and THAT I did not ask :(

I'd also would like to know what happens in case this mother decides to
continue breastfeeding.  The drugs does not affects succesive lactations,
therefore there is no reason to believe it would have any undesirable
effects on the baby.  On the other hand it produces a dopamine agonist
effect, and dopamine is a powerful substance in the brain.  We might be able
to find something more on cabergoline as it relates to the treatment of
Parkinson's disease. I'll be looking into that and reporting back, since my
father is being treated for PD.....and you'd be amazed how many drugs that
have a role in lactation: bromocriptine, cabergoline, domperidone, etc. have
a role in PD as well.

I'll let you know about my findings!

Regards,

Lavinia Belli, LLL, IBCLC