Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:13:20 +0000
I am *so glad* formula samples are illegal here - though mothers do
get sample packs of other fripperies when pg and in hospital. Baby
Friendly - which the majority of units at least aspire to, here -
means the fripperies have to be 'baby friendly'. But they are still
fripperies, and still samples.

SCBUs (special care baby units) and NICUs often have large
collections of darling little garments that kind people have
knitted/crocheted/sewn as donations - pre-term clothes are hard to
find, and expensive to buy, and I think it is lovely that the SCBU
can lend its babies nice things while they are there.

I supported my SIL when one of her twins was in special care, and it
was good for her to be able to choose something pretty for the baby
to wear, and not just put the baby in a laundry-stamped gown with
'property of X hospital' inked on it!

The idea that people care enough to make things for tiny babies they
don't even know warms my heart - that's  a true gift!

When I was in Bosnia, I visited a breastfeeding  clinic, where there
were beds and cribs for mothers to use, all covered with colourful
throws, made as donations to the clinic by the residents of a hostel
for rape victims.

Didn't I read here on Lactnet that there is a hospital somewhere
which co-ordinates volunteers to make little hats for all the new
babies as a way the community can welcome new life?

I can't imagine it happening in my city - 5000 babies born a year,
which is a lot of knitting - but wouldn't that be a better 'gift'
than anything that was trying to recuit a new customer?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK