From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:47:03 EST
In a message dated 2/3/2003 9:44:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  We are
> looking into lactoengineering the milk to help increase calories, but
> really
> don't know how to start.  I have tried calling Paula Meier, but can't seem
> to get to the correct number or correct person to get to Paula.

Crystal writes about the baby with volvulus who now has short gut. I can tell
you how to lactoengineer the milk, but do not know if higher fat milk would
be tolerated by this babe. It seems to me a gingerly try would be worth it.
Have mom pump off the first 1/3 or 1/2 of her milk and save it for later use.
Collect the rest. Spin a crit tube for 5 minutes. You can measure the amount
of fat in mm's and compare to a chart which will give you an exact
crematocrit, i.e. the number of calories per oz.  The other thing you can do
is just fractionate the milk without performing the crematocrit. Pump 1/3 to
1/2 the milk and save it.  Pump the rest and label it as hindmilk and feed to
the baby. You will not know the exact number of calories but will know it is
higher in fat than normal. I do have a question about whether high fat milk
can be absorbed by this baby.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC
Mountain View, CA