From:
Susan Atlas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:13:09 -0500
As an RN, I was always told we may not accept gifts, period. The hospital
where i work, however, has never interfered with food gifts to staff or to
lunches from companies. Personally, I have had families who wanted to pay
me somehow, and I asked them to donate to our OB dept. fund. Some have
handed me checks on the spot! Much more often, though, they will send cards
and pictures, cookies, and occasionally flowers. One mom recently brought a
gift basket and left it for me. I can't imagine sending these things back,
or the hospital insisting that I give them away (although i share with
staff).
It is interesting to see a written policy with a yearly value listed. Where
does a gift cross the line into pressure of some kind? My personal thoughts
are that if they are totally unsolicited, are small thank you gifts like
food or flowers or some personal item, aren't given until after work with
the client is completed, aren't from corporate sources that hope to get
future "good will" and financial gain through us, then it should be ok.
Patients need to know that they don't have to buy special treatment, and I
think most LC's and nurses would never expect or accept anything offered in
that way. Company lunches and conferences are a whole different matter, and
I believe they should be handled separately from private tokens of
appreciation. I'd lie to hear others' thoughts on this.
Sue