From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:13:41 EST
Tina makes some great points about baby led nursing.
 As for the off center latch, I believe that most of us use it now. I would
also venture to guess that many of us came upon it naturally, as a product of
watching and facilitating what works.
I also prefer, like Catherine, to think of nursing more like a dance.
Sometimes Mom has to lead in order to help baby learn. Although I certainly
agree that it all seems to *come together* more nicely when baby is a capable
leader.
I don't believe, however, that even the best set of birth circumstances is
the panacea that some may be looking for.
Having delivered my first 2 children in a birth center with no intervention,
*everyone* breastfed and where the philosophy was distinctly *hands off*,(
let Mom and baby figure it out for themselves). With no breastfeeding class,
no instruction *at all* other than "keep trying, it will work out" and
despite my reading I was left with a very difficult latcher, engorgement,
sore nipples etc.
Ironically, while many (most?) of us are lead to this profession after
delivering and nursing via the *intervensionist* model, mine came more from
the opposite perspective of "Boy, there is alot someone could have done to
help me here!"
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts