From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:42:43 EST
While I believe that this is a somewhat rare situation,  in this scenario I
would supplement with glucose water.  Added to a little expressed colostrum
if possible.  Chris

In a message dated 2/17/2003 3:24:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Date:   Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:23:31 -0500
> From:   "Mandi Porta, RN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: one off comps and fried moms
>
> I am faced with a dilemma that I would like some advice on.  I am a newish
> LC who has been placed in charge of coordinating the BFHI for my
> hospital.  One of the elements that I have come up against is night time
> complementary feeds to breastfed infants whose moms are keen breastfeeders
> but are beyond exhausted.  I myself was one of those mom's who on day
> three of having my son hoovered on to my breast I "broke down" and gave
> him 10cc of formula. Now mind you I had had about 9 hours of sleep in 4
> days, I still have guilt about it, believe it or not, even though he is 4
> years old and still nursing.  The problem comes with how to gracefully
> address this issue with the staff and the policy.  By the strict BFHI
> guidelines as I understand it one must have medical indications for
> comping a baby.  Is maternal exhaustion categorized as a medical
> indication?  And if it is how do I make sure that this is not used as an
> excuse by the staff to start handing out formula willinilli.
> It is a hard one for me and I usually handle it case by case.  If I feel
> that a mother has reached the end of her tether and would do much better
> once she had a chance to sleep for a few hours then I will consider it.  I
> will first try to get her to use ebm but that isn't always a possibility.
> The real issue is how do I handle this from a policy and teaching
> perspective.  Help I need guidance.  Thanks ahead of time,
> Mandi Porta, RN, IBCLC
> p.s. we do have informed consent forms for formula usage.

Christine Betzold NP IBCLC MSN
www.starfireinternational.net/breastfed