From:
Iona Macnab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:17:04 +0900
Dear Lactnetters
An interesting occurrence in Melbourne Australia which has headlined the
newspapers and TV news today. A female politician was asked to leave the
parliamentary chambers for breastfeeding her 11 day old baby while
parliament was sitting.

 http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/26/1046064087977.html

Parliament sour on breastfeeding MP
February 26 2003

Parliamentarian Kirstie Marshall with new baby Charlotte Louise at
parliament house.

Former Olympic skier Kirstie Marshall caused a stir in the Victorian
parliament today, breastfeeding her new baby in the chamber then missing her
first question time.

Ms Marshall, the member for the Melbourne suburban electorate of Forest
Hill, was breastfeeding 11-day-old baby Charlotte in the Legislative
Assembly prior to the ringing of the bells calling the house to order.

She left the chamber after being approached by the Sergeant-at-Arms.

Ms Marshall was absent throughout question time, the first of the new
parliament which opened yesterday.

Comment from Ms Marshall was being sought.

A second article, much more supportive is at
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/26/1046064095306.html

Breastfeeding furore prompts review
February 26 2003

A review of Victorian parliamentary rules will examine whether breastfeeding
should be allowed in the chamber, speaker Judy Maddigan said today.

Labor MP Kirstie Marshall was ordered to leave the Legislative Assembly
today when breastfeeding her new baby in the chamber just before question
time.

Ms Maddigan said current standing orders prevented Ms Marshall, the former
Olympic skier, from breastfeeding in the chamber, as only MPs were allowed
on the floor.

However, she said a review of standing orders would consider whether an
exception could be made for breastfeeding mothers.

+ACI-There's no doubt that the parliament was set up at a time when it was never
envisaged that the members would have babies in here, so it's not very
baby-friendly,+ACI- she told AAP.

+ACI-We're doing a review of standing orders at the moment so we can incorporate
that as part of it and that's an all-party committee that looks at that.+ACI-

Ms Maddigan, who has been keen to make parliament more family-friendly, said
she admired Ms Marshall for attending parliament so soon after the birth of
her baby Charlotte.

+ACI-I think to come into parliament when you've got a baby that is only 10 days
old is a real effort and I think she deserves all the help she can get,+ACI- she
said.

Meanwhile, Victorian Opposition Leader Robert Doyle said he had no problem
with making changes to accommodate Ms Marshall and the needs of her child.

But he said parliament during question time might be an inappropriate
environment for infant children.

+ACI-I have no objection to people breastfeeding in their workplace, I think
that's reasonable,+ACI- he told reporters.

+ACI-Whether or not, and I remember my own children when they were younger, I'm
not sure that I would want them fed during question time.

+ACI-It's not exactly the most relaxing and comfortable of circumstances. I
think the real decision should be what is best for the baby.+ACI-

Iona Macnab IBCLC
Australian in Tokyo, Japan