From:
Barb Strange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:21:57 -0700
Judit, you are correct that the abstract I provided, which, by the way, is
available in English from PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed, does
not have a direct connection to Ezzo.

It does, however, have everything to do with parenting beliefs related to
what the Ezzos and others teach and believe.  There are obviously study
participants who do believe that breastfeeding "too long" can lessen a
child's independence, or that fathers are left out of breastfeeding, and so
on, or the authors would not have commented on the "correction of these
false beliefs".

As I said, these are "Ezzo-like" beliefs -- they are, unfortunately, not
confined to the Ezzos and their followers.

If you all haven't already read the accounts provided by two other LACTNET
posters recently, one from a former Ezzo mother, and one from a former Ezzo
staff member (Adventure in Ezzoland), I urge you to make time to do so.
They are quite disturbing, particularly in view of the recent news that the
Ezzos are making inroads into Australia and New Zealand.  *Profoundly*
disturbing, as well, is the story of the family whose use of Ezzo methods
resulted in attachment disorder for their first child.  These stories are
all available at http://www.ezzo.info/index.htm.

The Ezzos' influence is important because, even if they are considered to be
off-centre or extreme, their teachings tend to normalize the desensitization
to babies' needs that already exists in mainstream books and programs, such
as Ferber, Baby Whisperer, and Sleep Nazi Marc Weissbluth, who says:

"At bedtime, put him down after his bedtime ritual, and don't attend to him
until about 5, 6, or 7 A.M.  No matter how long or how loud he cries."  (p.
135, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child)

About six months ago there was an article in one of our newspapers about how
ridiculously, awfully child-centred our culture has become.  Yeh right.

You know the connection to breastfeeding, people.

Barb Strange