Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jeanne Schrank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:58:54 -0500
I was called when my son was 12 mos. old.

I was able to get it postponed for 6 mos. with no questions asked.

I tried to get excused 6 mos. later.  I went to the courthouse and explained that I was responsible for one 18 mos. old all day and had to pick up a 4 yr. old from school at noontime and had to meet my older two daughters after school at 3.

They told me that was not a viable excuse.  I was most concerned about ending up serving on a long trial. I was told that I only had to serve for the 3 days I was called, if that was all I could be available.

My husband rearranged his work schedule so he could be home during that time.  I did serve on a jury, but when the lawyers were questioning us for selection, they said they expected the trial to last for two days, and did anyone think they couldn't be there for that time.  I said I could be there through the time of my summons, but beyond that I wouldn't be able to do it.

My son, who was still nursing, did fine with dad, although he did ask to nurse as soon as I got home.  I felt more comfortable being away from him than I would have when he was just one.

Another woman on my jury was nursing a one year old.  She called her caregiver when we had a lunch break and was able to nurse her daughter at mid day.

Jeanne
LLL in WI