Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:22:05 EDT
In a message dated 4/7/2003 8:06:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Liz Brooks
writes:

> I am a few days behind, having just returned from the private practice LC's
> conference.  We had a mini-section on HIPAA's privacy sections.
>
> The OB office *would be* in violation of HIPAA if they left a sign-in sheet
> out, exposing patient's names/addresses.  This is true whether the sign-in
> sheet is from the formula co., the office receptionist ... or the local
> IBCLC, trying to drum up business for her private practice.

Liz,

Good to know, and thank you for the explanation.

...... a further clarification question; do "voluntary" sigh-up sheets or
lists, where the person or patient writes what they know will be in public
view, that would not disclose anything that the person has not *chosen* to
disclose on a public list, differ in any way, as far as the HIPPA regs, from
other records such as medical records?

I am thinking now of, for instance, sign-up sheets for BF class attendance,
where the list would include names, and possibly other info like baby info,
if the mom has previous BF experience, if they attended another class or not,
if so where, etc........,

and, BF  moms group attendance sign-in sheets, where names, (mom and baby)
phone numbers, email addresses might be included.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the Fairfax County suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway

<A HREF="www.BestBreastfeeding.Info">www.BestBreastfeeding.Info</A>