From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:33:31 -0500
> Ernst E.  "A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy."  Br J
> Clin Pharmacol 2002 Dec;54(6):577-82.
>
> "Homeopathy remains one of the most controversial subjects in therapeutics.
> This article is an attempt to clarify its effectiveness based on recent
> systematic reviews. Electronic databases were searched for systematic
> reviews/meta-analysis on the subject. Seventeen articles fulfilled the
> inclusion/exclusion criteria. Six of them related to re-analyses of one
> landmark meta-analysis. Collectively they implied that the overall positive
> result of this meta-analysis is not supported by a critical analysis of the
> data. Eleven independent systematic reviews were located. Collectively they
> failed to provide strong evidence in favour of homeopathy. In particular,
> there was no condition which responds convincingly better to homeopathic
> treatment than to placebo or other control interventions. Similarly, there
> was no homeopathic remedy that was demonstrated to yield clinical effects
> that are convincingly different from placebo. It is concluded that the best
> clinical evidence for homeopathy available to date does not warrant positive
> recommendations for its use in clinical practice."
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
> ds=12492603&dopt=Abstract

With all due respect, let us face a few facts here.

First of all, Placebos do work. "Placebo" has become a derogatory term,
meaning "this is working because I am convincing myself that this is
working" but, in fact... in many situations that is what is required. It
is a GOOD thing if something "works" without causing side effects.

Secondly, homeopathy has been around for a long time, and will likely be
standing as an option once we wear out all of our other options through
the over-use of potent chemicals with long-range side effects too
numerous and ominous to even account for. A good example of an area of
medicine in which we are quickly exhausting our options is infectious
disease. Once you get finished with your Ampicillin, Keflex, Ceclor, on
and on... where are you? You are still sick, but with a bug you can't
kill.

Thirdly, let us be clearly frank that allopthy, and it's association
with multibillion dollar industries called "pharmaceutical companies"
will continue to drive what modern medicaine considers effective. There
is alot of money to be made by having us all taking some allopathic
remedy or another... and almost nothing to be made by teaching us to
treat simple problems with simple remedies.

Finally, unless we can engage a homeopath in our discussion of "lac
caninum" or any other remedy... we really are only getting half the
story. And the half of the story that is indebted to American Allopathy
is not really one that we should trust. Isn't that the same
"half-of-the-story"  that almost killed breatfeeding in this country?
And is that "half-of-the-story" not also responsible for the absence of
midwifery services for many of us?

I am not a homeopath but I do have two of these people that I refer to.
One is an MD, the other an ND. I know their remedies work because I have
seen them handle chronic problems, unaddressable by allopathy, again and
again.

Just my 2 cents worth... now let me get on my flame retardant
jacket.....

Susan Keith-Hergert RNC, MS, IBCLC
Holistic Natal Care
Cincinnati