From:
Billie Jean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:19:16 -0500
Hi,

My name is Billie Jean.  I'm a new IBCLC with the good fortune to be working
with Judy Hatfield here in upstate NY.  I thought I'd jump in on the
discussion Judy began on gift bags....er...advertising samples (thanks,
Winnie).  We recently attended a Peds meeting at our hospital and that
opened a HUGE can of worms for us!  We're seeing that as a positive thing
and using the turmoil to get administration on board and improve some of our
practices.

One of the issues was the "gift bags."  Initially, we were told to go ahead
and remove formula and literature for the breastfeeding moms.  In the
meantime, we could begin researching the best way to give out our own gift
bag.  Lo and behold, the formula company already thought of that
possibility!  Our hospital had signed a contract with the company to give
out the bags complete and intact.  (Who snitched?)  It's a money issue.  The
hospital gets free formula, plus a huge kickback.  Guess they don't know
there is no such thing as a free lunch!

We did, however, see a loop-hole that we might use.  The contract stated
that we would adhere to it as long as doing so did not violate any
regulations or codes that we were mandated to follow.  NYS codes do say that
formula samples and literature should not be given unless requested by the
mother or the physician.

We'd like to come up with a gift pack (baby friendly advertising samples)
because we know moms who come in with a coupon in hand asking for that gift
bag!  We want to make one so nice for the breast moms that the bottle-fed
moms will get jealous of it!  I love the ideas that some of you have had.
We were wondering about getting volunteer groups to sew some slings or
boppies for us.

Yesterday, we got our first copy of the new breastfeeding book that has been
so controversial.  the Ross rep said he'd be glad to give us as many as we'd
like, BUT they MUST be given with formula samples!  Our manager said we don
t want them with that stipulation....thank goodness!

One small step for us, one giant leap for NY babies!

Billie Frye, RN, IBCLC

(who is learning SO much from this list!)