From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:54:57 -0700
I am sure this mom has tried baby on the non-producing breast, and probably
a pump, too, but has she tried using a supplementer, with expressed milk
from the producing breast?  The Lact-Aid would be good, for the slower flow
and the fact that the slow is not assisted by gravity, but the SNS with the
smallest tubing would be OK too.  Some moms needing just one tube with the
SNS find it helpful to wrap the other tube around the cap, but looping it so
that it can be easily opened and closed.  I would try to make the experience
of feeding from that breast as much as possible like the producing one,
doing everything the same as if the milk was coming right from the breast,
hopefully with mom being able to settle in and relax.

Unless something about it started compromising the production of the other
breast, I would suggest that she just plan on feeding like that for a couple
weeks or so, before trying to make any determination of whether it was going
to work.  I would also suggest not trying to express anything until after
doing this for at least several days.  Having already experienced the
frustration of that breast not producing, anxiety could work against her, if
she was too eager to see if this was working (alot like adoptive moms who
start from scratch nursing with a supplementer).  If the baby was getting
something from that breast without her being aware of it, he would
automatically take less from the supplementer, so there is no reason she
would need to be checking very early or often.

Darillyn Starr