From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:23:41 -0800
I wrote the researcher at OHSU regarding the URL posted below.  Below is
Mark Slifka, Phds reply to me.

The second paragraph really upsets me that they actually did give
babies under 10 weeks nearly 10X (times) the vaccine to get a take.

I do not know who did this research, but to think someone made guinea
pigs of babies is really upsetting.  I think this information needs to
be shared with LLLI also, though he does not state who did those tests.

I postponed immunizations for my two daughters for several months in
1974 and 1976 because it was explained to me by the LLL leader that my
antibodies through my milk would not allow the vaccinations to be as
effective.

To me, his reply means to just keep breastfeeding as long as you can!
Judy Ritchie

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-02/ohs-ors021003.php

I wrote regarding this recent news release of Mark Slifka Phds work:

Many former pilots and international airline flight attendants from 30
years ago had multiple vaccinations.  I had two inoculations as a child
of age 2 before emigrating with my parents to the US from Germany in
1949—two scars on my left upper arm.  Then I had yearly smallpox
immunizations from 1967 through 1971 as an international flight purser
for TWA.  We also had cholera, yellow fever, diphtheria and something
else.  I may even still have my yellow immunization booklet somewhere.

I have suggested this smallpox residual immunity testing to several
people.  I am glad that OHSU is actually doing the research.  I also
wonder if the immunity is ever passed on to the breastfed children of
those immune or immunized.

Judy Ritchie
Olympia WA

I hadn't realized that pilots/flight attendants on
international flights were required to be boosted against smallpox so
often.  If you are ever in the Portland area and would like to
volunteer, we would be very happy to look at your smallpox immunity.
Unfortunately, due to IRB regulations, we cannot provide individual
information to volunteers about their immune status, but we are
allowed to send people a copy of the published information. Although
a person cannot directly link their name to the coded samples used in
the study, at least one can get a ballpark estimate of how samples in
a similar group (e.g. 2 vaccinations, at 30 years post-vaccination)
performed using our tests.

As for your question on whether or not immunity was passed from
mother to child during breastfeeding, the answer is yes.  It turns
out that infants at 10 weeks of age or less had to be vaccinated with
nearly 10-times as much vaccine than children >5 months of age, just
to get a good vaccination or "take".  This is probably due to the
younger children still possessing smallpox-specific antibodies
obtained from their mothers, and these maternal antibodies decline
substantially in the older children, making them more susceptible to
vaccination.

I hope that this answered your question.
Take care,
Mark

--
Mark K. Slifka, Ph.D.