From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:12:44 EST
In a message dated 2.25.03 2:59:03 PM, Nikki writes:

> On the subject of Egypt and breastfeeding. I think that unless one can find
> some references that Egyptians did indeed breastfeed, we cannot assume they
> did.

Oh,but they did!
Having just had the pleasure of accompanying my currently Egypt addicted 8yo
son to the special Egypt exhibit at Boston's Museum of Science and speaking
to the historian about this very subject, I can conclusively say that Egypt
put great stock into breastfeeding. It was expected that all who *could*
(excluding the upper class which often used wet nurses) would breast feed and
breast feed for 3 years. In fact, archeologists discovered a predominance of
children dying between 3-4yrs theorizing that the cessation of the protective
benefits of the breast milk were the cause. GI infections were the leading
cause of illness d/t poor hygiene. Wet nurses were often revered and were
recognized to have a special relationship with their *charges* throughout
their lives, with pictures of them sometimes added to their grave
paraphanelia.   Fascinating stuff!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts