Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:35:31 -0700

>My question: Even though research states that it is an effective form of
>pregnancy prevention, is the Lactational Amenorrhea Method frequently used
>for birth control in your experience? If so, has it been reliable?

Hi Kristen,

Many of the women I work with, including many personal friends and
acquaintances as well as myself, have used LAM for birth control.  However,
this group is not necessarily indicative of the general population.  I can
say that I only know of two women who conceived within the first 6 mos pp
(and in both cases it was very close to 6 mos) who were following all of
the guidelines.  I would estimate that this is 2 in approximately 50-75
people.  In fact, many of the women I know go on to use LAM after 6 mos
pp.  However, this would probably be more accurately called FAM (fertility
awareness method), as they are also using other fertility indicators
(cervical mucous, bbt, etc) to assess their fertility.

I think that the general population has trouble following the guidelines of
LAM due to the importance of exclusive breastfeeding (although I see in
your references that that might be relaxing somewhat) and being sure that
baby meets all of his sucking needs at the breast (i.e., no
pacifiers).  Most women in our culture see this as an unattainable
goal--not to mention ensuring that baby nurses at night and goes no longer
than 5 hours without nursing.

While my experience is anecdotal, I hope it is helpful to you.

Gina Gerboth
SE Colorado (also thinking of a good chunk of my friends and acquaintances
in Oregon as well ;-)