Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jim & Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:43:37 -0600
Please, please, please do NOT refer to these as "gift packs".  They
are advertising samples, pure and simple.  To me a gift is something
you give because you want to with no strings attached or
expectations of a response except hopefully a "thank you".  If it
was truly a "gift" on the part of the manufacturer, they would come
without any reference to the company, no logos etc.  And of course
we know how likely that is.
This is one point I repeatedly make to our staff and will continue
to do so even when I am criticized for making such a big deal of
it.  If we can't get rid of them (and believe me, I've tried all the
approaches mentioned on LN) at least we can be honest about what
they are and what the company wants in return-your business.
Unfortunately, staff likes it when patients thank them for giving
them to them.  AAARRRGGGHHH.  I will also try to point this out to
parents when I talk about "only mom in at least the first month".
(The diaper bags are now given right after delivery instead of at
discharge so they are in the room when I see mom!)  I'll say
something like, "I see they've given you the advertising samples
from the formula companies." (making the points of the real purpose
as well as the fact that it isn't "from the hospital")  I make sure
they know about the fact that moms who start with breastfeeding and
switch on the average use formula longer than moms who start with
formula in the first place.  Therefore, the companies really do want
moms to START breastfeeding.
If you can't "beat 'em", at least you can keep from "joining 'em".

Winnie