From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:16:34 -0500
> Come the first session  2 of the mums brought their 15 month olds and =
> while
> both monitored them well neither were able to take notes and the group =
> as a
> whole was distracted by their tired tears and general noise. =20

Can you prepare handouts in advance - detailed ones - so that people don't
have to take notes? That would simplify things a lot. Can you set up a play
and snack area in the room where you are so that the toddlers will be close
to their mothers but still have things to do? Perhaps you could find a
teenager or older child - perhaps even one of your own children - to play
with the toddlers quietly in the same room. (Where I live, all teens are
required to do a certain amount of volunteer service in order to graduate
from high school - and helping with toddlers at breastfeeding support group
meetings definitely counts.)
Can you perhaps rethink how you organize and present the material to
accomodate the distractions of toddlers? For example, have any detailed info
on handouts people can take home and read later, and have more discussion
and simple presentation of main concepts, perhaps incorporating several
short breaks if you think that might help.

Having spent the last 25 years of my life at La Leche League meetings and
conferences, I think I am so used to learning and working in the presence of
small children of all ages that I don't find it particularly distracting. It
just feels normal to me! When I have worked in an office, I find I am MUCH
more distracted by the noises of the photocopier, printer, people walking
down the halls and talking to each other, phones ringing, overhead PA
systems, etc., etc. I don't know how anyone can get work done in that
environment! I guess it's what you're used to...

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario